- n a texture of a surface or edge that is not smooth but is irregular and uneven
- n the quality of being unpleasant (harsh or rough or grating) to the senses
- n an unpolished unrefined quality
- n used of the sea during inclement or stormy weather
- n rowdy behavior
- n the formation of small pits in a surface as a consequence of corrosion
- n harsh or severe speech or behavior
men associate the roughness of nonstandard working-class speech with masculinity
the roughness of her voice was a signal to keep quiet
- The game was marked with aggressiveness, roughness on both sides.
- In private, Senate sources say, Reid has been critical of the Speaker for what he believes was unnecessary roughness in ramming through her first-100-hours agenda, refusing to .
- In fact, South Korea has a thriving contemporary film industry that, due to the roughness of history, has no past.
News & Articles
- USA's 'Necessary Roughness' Producers Explain Necessary Changes on Season 3
By Jethro Nededog LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - "Necessary Roughness" operates in a very new world when it returns for its third season on Wednesday. "We didn't blow up the premise," executive producer Craig Shapiro said of the changes on-set of the USA drama in Atlanta. "We just moved it a little sideways. It's a logical evolution. That's what we're calling it." Pulled off the football field, the ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Necessary Roughness Bosses on Mark Blucas’ Exit: “There Were Two Choices” for Matt and Dani
[Warning: The following story contains spoilers from the Season 3 premiere of Necessary Roughness. Read at your own risk.] In with the new. Out with a major character. The Season 3 premiere of Necessary Roughness introduced viewers to Dani's new bosses, V3 head Connor McClane (John Stamos) and...
June 13, 2013 - TV Guide
- Necessary Roughness Goes Big in Season 3: A Guide to the Show's 5 Major Changes
Going into Season 3, the executive producers of Necessary Roughness went by one of the oldest sports adages in the books. [USA] wanted us to, as they said, 'Go big.' So we went bigger, co-creator and executive producer Liz Kruger tells TVGuide.com. I think everybody's quite excited about...
June 12, 2013 - TV Guide
- Dale Earnhardt Jr in USA Today
It was very rough for me,Dale Earnhardt Jr. said. "I saw a lot of roughness. I was part of a lot of roughness. I was a cause of some of it. But my crew chief said I wasn't sticking out like a sore thumb, that I was not different than...
- Bryan Ferry in Easier (press release)
I get the feeling people expect something fairly refined from me,concludes Ferry, "My voice has gotten deeper and the album's got an element of roughness to it and, I hope, a kind of haunting quality. The singer in me is overjoyed to be...
- Salam Fayyad in Ha'aretz
The roughness of this neighborhood can be reduced if not eliminated if [Israeli] occupation comes to an end,Fayyad said. "I do not believe that there can be permanent peace unless the concept of Palestinian statehood is accepted."