quandary : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a situation from which extrication is difficult especially an unpleasant or trying one
- n state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options
- The pile up on the highway blocked both sides of the road and threw the traffic police into a quandary.
- The open revolt of the players has placed the management of the football team in a quandary.
- Unable to explain the super natural happenings in the haunted house, the rationalists are in a quandary.
News & Articles
- Hospitality tax battle lines: City vs. county?
New money and divisions along urban and rural lines have left Richland County Council in a quandary over use of its hospitality tax revenues, money devoted to bringing in tourists.
June 11, 2013 - The State
- U.S. suspects Syria used chemical weapons, wants proof
The White House said on Thursday the Syrian government of President Bashar al-Assad had probably used chemical weapons on a small scale in the country's civil war, but insisted that President Barack Obama needed definitive proof before he would take action. The disclosure created a quandary for Obama, who has set the use of chemical weapons as a "red line" that Assad must not cross. It triggered ...
June 11, 2013 - The News-Herald
- Police under pressure to retrain drug dogs after marijuana legalized in 2 states
For as long as dogs have been trained as police officers, they've been helping make drug busts. But now that the recreational use of marijuana is legal in those two states, officers are in a K-9 quandary.
June 9, 2013 - Fox News
- Sir Alex Ferguson in Sportinglife.com
We have had offers for Giuseppe, which puts us in a bit of a situation, while the quandary with Alan surrounds his long-term future and getting regular games,Ferguson said. "There is no doubt Alan did fantastically well for us when he came...
- George Karl in USA Today
AI likes to take that 3, that dagger 3,coach George Karl said. "We were kind of caught in the quandary of should we try to score or run clock. That 3 ended the quandary. It got us over that hump where we didn't have to be scared to death...
- Jack Roush in Monroe News Star
I'm obliged to be on the winning pit box whenever the checkered flag comes out,Roush said Sunday. "I was in a quandary today."