- n a condensed but memorable saying embodying some important fact of experience that is taken as true by many people
- His favorite version of his favorite proverb before he walked out of the Allied Control Council meetings was: "I want to skin this bear before I shoot it.
- Thirteen years ago, when tubby, profligate Sultan Ahmad, Shah of Persia, was debauching along the French Riviera French newsorgans came out with the old French proverb: La mdt .
- Even Abhisit, who is trying to court farmers with promises of free education and low-cost health care, acknowledges an old Thai proverb: "Rural voters elect governments; urban .
News & Articles
- Vibrant downtown won't stay that way if parking ills aren't addressed
Downtown parking is an issue everyone likes to complain about. Hard to find, pricey, meter police patrolling like sharks.But it's an issue that goes far beyond mere carping. It's a make-or-break proposition akin to the old for-want-of-a-nail proverb. For want of a space the customer was lost, for want of a customer the business was lost, for want of a business the street was lost and the city ...
June 11, 2013 - Asheville Citizen-Times
- Timing is everything for Stewart in Pocono
KANNAPOLIS, N.C.– Timing is everything. It’s a simple proverb that in NASCAR is an inherent truth. Perhaps no one knows this better than Tony Stewart, driver of the No. 14 Mobil 1/Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet SS for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR). ... Keep reading
June 7, 2013 - Motorsport.com
- Why Chelsea's Ashley Cole Remains the World's Finest Left-Back
There's an often recited proverb that "age is just a number." It's used to hide the shortcomings of those attempting to fight Father Time as the symptoms of age creep up and take hold. Nowhere is that more prevalent than in modern football, but many fail to live up to such wisdom. Not Ashley Cole . Chelsea 's defender may be the wrong side of 30, but he enters the 2012-13 post-season on the back ...
June 6, 2013 - Bleacher Report