- n an open avowal (true or false) of some belief or opinion
- v practice as a profession, teach, or claim to be knowledgeable about
- v confess one's faith in, or allegiance to
- v admit (to a wrongdoing)
- v state freely
- v receive into a religious order or congregation
- v take vows, as in religious order
- v state insincerely
- The one-time Emperor nurtured the earth lovingly, professing himself content with watering his patch of the motherland.
- But what happens when people of different origins, speaking different languages and professing different religions, inhabit the same locality and live under the same political .
- How can we have reached a moment in history when men professing to be soldiers serving a cause are capable not only of committing such atrocities but of calling them acts of war?.
News & Articles
- Rays staying in race thanks to offense
I know, I know: You're tired of stat nerds professing their love for the Tampa Bay Rays, a franchise that hasn't even reached the World Series since 2008, let alone ever won one. Why do we love the Rays? They compete despite usually ranking near the bottom in payroll. Why write about them on a night they lost 10-8 to the Boston Red Sox in 14 innings? They always find a way to compete, a credit ...
June 11, 2013 - ESPN Blogs
- Martha Stewart in PopEater
She's more of an entertainer than she is, with her bubbly personality, than she is a teacher, like me. That's not what she's professing to be,Stewart explains in the 'Nightline' segment.
- John Kerry in Washington Post
There is a standard by which we have to live,Kerry said. "Coming to church on Sundays and talking about faith and professing faith isn't the whole deal. . . . I hear politicians talk about values, but I don't see them."
- Pope Benedict XVI in Catholic News Agency
The Pope began by noting that there are different forms of secularism around the world, and that the American version has its own problem, namely, that "it allows for professing belief in God, and respects the public role of religion and the...