- n a new word formed by joining two others and combining their meanings
`motel' is a portmanteau word made by combining `motor' and `hotel'
`brunch' is a well-known portmanteau
- n a large travelling bag made of stiff leather
- Locals call it Lusi a portmanteau of the Indonesian word for mud, lumpur, and the name of the nearest city, Sidoarjo.
- The mind that created the Miltonic rhetoric, the subtle architecture, the poly-portmanteau language of Ulysses and Finnegans Wake, found its last peace in talking to an eight-year .
- London Assurance is peopled with enough eccentrics to fill the portmanteau of a Victorian novel.
News & Articles
- John Guare Looks to the East in 3 Kinds of Exile
At 75, many a man might reasonably think of retirement. Instead, John Guare has embarked on a fresh career. In 3 Kinds of Exile , the portmanteau play at Atlantic Theater, directed by Neil Pepe, Guare not only supplies the script, he also appears in the middle section, "Elzbieta Erased," ma...
June 11, 2013 - The Village Voice