opulence : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n wealth as evidenced by sumptuous living
- It was a time when, despite the opulence of gifts in many homes, the people sang with fervor, in a peculiar popular ditty, that they just wanted to keep what they had.
- The opulence of coats hand-beaded with Van Gogh irises or sunflowers matched the boom times of the mid-1980s.
- An opening concert was headlined by legendary Spanish soprano Montserrat Caball, as if to personify the harmoniousness and opulence Kazakhstan wants to project.
News & Articles
- The Wolf of Wall Street Trailer: Filthy, Rich
So Leonardo DiCaprio didn't embody pure opulence enough for you as Jay Gatsby or Calvin Candie? Try Jordan Belfort, an actual guy who made almost $1 million a week working/lawbreaking in finance in the nineties. Because DiCaprio only appears in trailers scored by Kanye West no matter how jarring the ... More »
June 17, 2013 - Vulture
- Rafael Correa in International Herald Tribune
My dream ...... is to see a country without extreme poverty, without children begging in the streets, a nation without opulence but dignified and happy,Correa said.
- Adam Smith in Fort Worth Star Telegram
As Adam Smith wrote in The Wealth of Nations, for most rich people, "the chief enjoyment of riches consists in the parade of riches, which in their eye is never so complete as when they appear to possess those decisive marks of opulence which nobody...
- Herman Melville in Boston Globe (registration)
Chanel, Schiaparelli, Balenciaga and Dior all did extraordinary things. But they worked within a particular style. Yves Saint Laurent is much more versatile, like a combination of all of them. He's got the form of Chanel with the opulence of Dior... Christian Lacroix http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Lacroix&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGOqMuZ8m0vVj48me82eWmVFoo5fg Enews 2.0 http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.enews20.com/news_Fashion_World_To_Pay_Tributes_To_Yves_Saint_Laurent_08362.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGzijl4Y7B5VrfUhDvTrA_Fhh6SZQ Jun 2, 2008
70030 93577 opulent Nowhere in all America," wrote Herman Melville, "will you find more patrician-like houses, parks, and gardens more opulent, than in New Bedford . . . all these brave houses and flowery gardens came from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian...