oppression : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of subjugating by cruelty
the tyrant's oppression of the people
- n the state of being kept down by unjust use of force or authority: "after years of oppression they finally revolted"
- n a feeling of being oppressed
- In the revolution led by Mandela to transform a model of racial division and oppression into an open democracy, he demonstrated that he didn't flinch from taking up arms, but his .
- To people here, he is known as Nafanua, in honor of a legendary Samoan warrior goddess who once saved the village from oppression and protected its forests.
- And she has recruited psychologists and lawyers to work in housing developments with victims of oppression or abuse.
News & Articles
- Former Judson kindergarten teacher convicted of official oppression
SAN ANTONIO -- It took a Bexar County jury less than an hour Thursday to convict a former Judson ISD kindergarten teacher of official oppression. Cynthia Ambrose, 44, faces up to a year in prison and must surrender her Texas teaching certificate. Prosecutors said she used her authority as a kindergarten teacher to force several students to hit a six-year-old classmate. The incident happened in ...
June 20, 2013 - KENS 5 San Antonio
- Photographer Shirin Neshat points lens at women's roles in Iran
Iranian-American photographer Shirin Neshat produces work touching on the oppression of women and the strict segregation of the sexes imposed by Iran's'79 Islamic Revolution.
June 20, 2013 - Detroit News
- Brazil protesters struggle to define next steps
A protestor shouts during an anti-government protest in Rio de Janeiro's sister city, Niteroi,... Brazilians march demanding free public transit and protest against the money poured into... A protester holds a sign that reads in Portuguese "Hunger, misery and oppression and Brazil...
June 20, 2013 - Washington Examiner
- Nancy Pelosi in ABC News
If freedom-loving people throughout the world do not speak out against China's oppression in China and Tibet, we have lost all moral authority to speak on behalf of human rights anywhere in the world,Pelosi told a cheering crowd in Dharmsala,...
- President Bush in Forbes
Come clean about your nuclear intentions and past actions, stop your oppression at home and cease your support for terror abroad,Bush said. "But above all, know this: America will confront those who threaten our troops; we will stand by...
- Martin Luther King in Calgary Herald
Near the end of his oration, King said: "I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice."