object : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a tangible and visible entity; an entity that can cast a shadow
it was full of rackets, balls and other objects
- n the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable)
the sole object of her trip was to see her children
- n (grammar) a constituent that is acted upon
the object of the verb
- n the focus of cognitions or feelings
objects of thought
the object of my affection
- n (computing) a discrete item that provides a description of virtually anything known to a computer
in object-oriented programming, objects include data and define its status, its methods of operation and how it interacts with other objects
- v express or raise an objection or protest or criticism or express dissent
She never objected to the amount of work her boss charged her with
When asked to drive the truck, she objected that she did not have a driver's license
- v be averse to or express disapproval of
My wife objects to modern furniture
- As astronomers probe outward in space, they are looking backward in time, because the light that they see from very distant objects started its journey millions of years ago.
- Astronomers generally agreed last week that two tiny objects recently discerned close to Earth are planetoids, the gleaming flecks of solar matter which revolve around the Sun .
- Parfitt admits that such a multipurpose object would be "very bizarre" in either culture, but insists, "that's an argument for a connection between them.
News & Articles
- Secret court won't object to release of opinion on illegal surveillance
In a rare public ruling by the nation’s most secretive judicial body, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court ruled Wednesday that it did not object to the release of a classified 86-page opinion concluding that some of the U.S. government’s surveillance activities were unconstitutional.The ruling, signed by the court’s chief judge, Reggie Walton, rejected the Justice Department’s arguments ...
June 13, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Parents and students object to orchestra teacher move
Parents and students filled Town Hall to object to a staffing change that reassigns the high school orchestra director to the elementary school level. She'll continue to work at the middle school.
June 12, 2013 - Wellesley Townsman
- World's Largest Social Discovery Site Uses Caringo Object Storage
AUSTIN, Texas, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Caringo ®, the leading provider of object storage software, today announced that social media company Massive Media has been utilizing a storage infrastructure ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance