- n sound of any kind (especially unintelligible or dissonant sound)
he enjoyed the street noises
they heard indistinct noises of people talking
during the firework display that ended the gala the noise reached 98 decibels
- n the auditory experience of sound that lacks musical quality; sound that is a disagreeable auditory experience
modern music is just noise to me
- n electrical or acoustic activity that can disturb communication
- n a loud outcry of protest or complaint
the announcement of the election recount caused a lot of noise
whatever it was he didn't like it and he was going to let them know by making as loud a noise as he could
- n incomprehensibility resulting from irrelevant information or meaningless facts or remarks
all the noise in his speech concealed the fact that he didn't have anything to say
- n the quality of lacking any predictable order or plan
- v emit a noise
- No industrial noise is harder on the nerves than the brain-battering din of riveting.
- Noise can be controlled to an extent, depending on the source.
- Aviation noise, and noise pollution in general, are issues that will reach critical mass in the next few years.
News & Articles
- Loud Noise Results In Lock Up
A loud noise complaint at a Sterling home this morning resulted in one man facing numerous charges, including assault on a law enforcement officer.
June 21, 2013 - Leesburg Today
- Tucson tackles noise issue from D-M
Noise from Davis-Monthan and its affect on the future of Tucson has become a hot topic.
June 20, 2013 - KOLD News 13 Tuscon
- Noise Annoys City Hall Workers
It's the noise that's driving Watertown City Hall workers a little nuts. The high-pitched whine comes from new air conditioning that was installed last fall by a contractor.
June 18, 2013 - WWNY - WNYF Watertown
- Barack Obama in The Union Leader
Obama told his audience reassuringly, "For all the chatter and the yelling and the shouting and the noise, what you need to know is this ...... if you do have health insurance, we will make sure that no insurance company or government bureaucrat...
- Jose Torres in The Associated Press
Here, wherever you go, you go with fear,said Jose Torres, who sells newspaper and shines shoes at a shopping mall in Ciudad Victoria, the state capital. "You hear a noise and you throw yourself to the ground."
- Andrea in Forbes
It was horribly strong. It was very long and there was a lot of underground noise,said Andrea Riveros, spokeswoman for the Park Hotel in Calama, 60 miles from the epicenter and site of the large Chuquicamata copper mine.