- n a sign of assent or salutation or command
- n the act of nodding the head
- v express or signify by nodding
He nodded his approval
- v lower and raise the head, as to indicate assent or agreement or confirmation
The teacher nodded when the student gave the right answer
- v let the head fall forward through drowsiness
The old man was nodding in his chair
- v sway gently back and forth, as in a nodding motion
the flowers were nodding in the breeze
- v be almost asleep
The old man sat nodding by the fireplace
- The Jesuits were once such a powerful force in the Roman Catholic Church that their elected leader was unofficially called the "black pope," a nod both to his influence and to the .
- You have to figure out your sentence, she used to tell John Kennedy, who would nod thoughtfully and then grouse when she left.
- Every campaign ought to send a signal that there's not going to be a wink and a nod to this kind of activity.
News & Articles
- Egypt Seen to Give Nod Toward Jihadis on Syria
Morsi's new tough tone on Syria raises concerns of a nod to jihadi fighters
June 16, 2013 - ABC News
- U.S. Open report
Round 3: Nod goes to Merion ARDMORE, Pa. — Merion still played mean and nasty Saturday in the third round of the U.S. Open, playing to a stroke average of 74.356 and refusing to yield a single birdie at the par-4 18th hole.
June 16, 2013 - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- Nebraska cowboys at Buffalo Bill Rodeo
North Platte gives a nod to its heritage this week, and turns into Rodeo Town for four days. Several hundred cowboys and cowgirls will stampede into town, along with their mounts, bucking horses and bulls, and roping calves and steers.
June 16, 2013 - North Platte Bulletin
- Fernando Torres in The Press Association
As of today, more than 4 million people have given me their vote for president, that's of course, less than Senator moccasin's 4.7 million, but quite a statement nonetheless. Eleven states have given me their nod, compared to his 13. Of course,... Mitt Romney http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHsbJvd1A8Hj2N-SfDDingX9k3-RA Examiner.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.examiner.com/a-1207068~Romney_Suspends_Presidential_Campaign.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHJEM4fsmrZ9lSU_afFTwmORin2WQ Feb 7, 2008
67848 90462 nod He added: But if he isn't given the nod by the boss, then he has to cheer on the side from the sidelines."
- Charlie Weis in Chicago Tribune
I think Evan this week gives us the best chance of winning,Weis said. "I think that the separation between the two of them isn't big enough for a banged-up guy getting a nod over a fresh guy, and that's why we're going in that direction."