noaa : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an agency in the Department of Commerce that maps the oceans and conserves their living resources; predicts changes to the earth's environment; provides weather reports and forecasts floods and hurricanes and other natural disasters related to weather
News & Articles
- NOAA's Bullard hosts Monday phone forum
Local fishermen have a chance Monday to sound off on the state of the local groundfish industry, and to learn about assistance available. John Bullard, Northeast regional administrator for NOAA Fisheries, is hosting an open conference call to solicit
June 22, 2013 - Gloucester Daily Times
- U.S. Discards Nearly 25 Percent of Its Bluefin Tuna Catch
The news announced by NOAA Fisheries earlier this week was enough to make us turn seasick-green. Atlantic bluefin tuna—a species so coveted it has its own reality TV show and prompts hand-wringing of environmentalists everywhere—is being tossed overboard, dead, at a nauseating rate by American surface longline fishermen.
June 20, 2013 - Takepart.com via Yahoo! News
- NOAA, partners predict possible record-setting deadzone for Gulf of Mexico
NOAA-supported modelers at the University of Michigan, Louisiana State University, and the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium are forecasting that this year's Gulf of Mexico hypoxic "dead" zone will be between 7,286 and 8,561 square miles which could place it among the ten largest recorded. A second NOAA-funded forecast, for the Chesapeake Bay, calls for a smaller than average dead zone in ...
June 18, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Bill Nelson in BusinessWeek
In the near term, it's a marker to encourage NOAA to go on and get all this coordinated in a plan,Nelson said. "NOAA ought to be the one that's at the point of the spear on research right now on the existence and the effects of subsurface...
- Barney Frank in Boston Globe
I believe the time has come to appoint a new head of:NOAA, and put somebody in there who's really going to embrace what we need,Frank, a Newton Democrat, said during an appearance on New Bedford-based WBSM-AM. "I think it's time for...
- Maria Cantwell in Seattle Times
NOAA should keep its Marine Operations Center in Puget Sound. The proximity of employees and oceans research centers makes Puget Sound the logical choice,Cantwell said. "With today's announcement, Bellingham's case for keeping NOAA's...