- n a neurochemical that transmits nerve impulses across a synapse
- Zald and his team were on the lookout for a particular dopamine-regulating receptor, which monitors levels of the neurotransmitter and signals brain cells to stop churning it out .
- A later University of Delaware study suggested that another neurotransmitter, serotonin, plays a role as well.
- While the link between the conditions is poorly understood, the paper, which followed 8,000 youths, notes that altered levels of serotonin a neurotransmitter affecting mood and .
News & Articles
- 'Forrest Gump' mice show too much of a good thing, can be bad
A line of genetically modified mice that scientists call "Forrest Gump" because, like the movie character, they can run far but they aren't smart, is furthering the understanding of a key neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Scientists say the mice show what happens when too much of this neurotransmitter becomes available in the brain.
June 20, 2013 - Science Daily
- Pim Fortuyn in Science Daily (press release)
These data make it clear that narcolepsy is not just a sleeping disorder, but a hypothalamic disease with a much broader symptom profile,said Dr. Fortuyn. "Hypocretin, the neurotransmitter that is lost in narcolepsy, has been implicated in...