- n a person who speaks softly and indistinctly
- My grandfather was a mumbler, my uncle is a mumbler, and I'm a mumbler too.
- Why did you do that to me? What have I done to you? You know very well that I am a greater mumbler of long words than Arthur Vandenberg.
- But Steiger was no mumbler; he spat his lines with acid precision.
- PZ Myers in Boston Globe (registration)
Influential blogger PZ Myers wrote that the suspension does Cold Spring Harbor "no good: it's a declaration that their director must be an inoffensive, mealy-mouthed mumbler who never challenges (even stupidly)."