mugwump : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n someone who bolted from the Republican Party during the U.S. presidential election of 1884
- n a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
- When Frank Lausche was mayor of Cleveland in the early '40s, he sculpted his political totem in the form of a mugwump and named it antiboss.
- For an opener he can generally get a laugh with this old chestnut: "A mugwump is a fellow with his mug on one side of the fence and his wump on the other.
- House members were still fresh from their month's visit home, whence many a mugwump had crossed over into the interventionist camp, and even fresher from the heaviest victory for .
News & Articles
- Fredericktown spellers tops in county
MOUNT VERNON -- Does anyone know what a mugwump is? That was one of the words spelled correctly Thursday during the 2014 Knox County Spelling Bee, but it left the spectators curious as to what it means.
Jan. 10, 2014 - Mount Vernon News