- v practice self-denial of one's body and appetites
- v hold within limits and control
- v cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of
- v undergo necrosis
- s causing to feel shame or chagrin or vexation
it was mortifying to know he had heard every word
- s causing awareness of your shortcomings
- When it's just mortifying, there's always breast-reduction surgery or, of course, the bro.
- Writing this often mortifying story had made me feel vulnerable enough, but when Hollywood called to show interest in filming it, I wondered whether my psyche would survive.
- And parental physical incompetence can be mortifying.
News & Articles
- Bra Boutiques Bloom as Big Bazongas Bewilder the Bamboobled!
Strapping in for the long haul. (Photo by Vecchio/Three Lions/Getty Images) As a young woman, one of the most memorable coming-of-age moments is being taken to get your first bra: equal parts mortifying and thrilling, it’s one of those prepubescent rites that most adults wouldn’t care to repeat. And yet a colleague and I recently found ourselves re-enacting a scene from Judy Blume in the ...
June 11, 2013 - The New York Observer