monastic : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a male religious living in a cloister and devoting himself to contemplation and prayer and work
- s of communal life sequestered from the world under religious vows
- Then there is another monastic office.
- From the monastic rooms of world's first campuses to today's luxury residence halls, PTI examines the ever-changing ways that students live.
- Patience is one of the characteristics of monastic life, but even the patience of the brothers was being tested by our slow Internet.
News & Articles
- Why Jenny McCarthy's New TV Gig is So Unsettling
Best as I can tell, most of the internet has denounced ABC's decision to hire Jenny McCarthy as a cohost of The View, a popular daytime talk show on American television. The uproar, in case you just returned from a week-long, off-the-grid monastic retreat, owes to McCarthy's role as a prominent spokesperson for the anti-vaccine movement. As Salon laments, She devotes a great deal of energy to ...
July 16, 2013 - Discover
- Moby in Los Angeles Times
I love making my own records, but the way I make my own records is sort of ascetic and monastic,Moby says. "I have a little studio, I go in there by myself, it's a very solipsistic process. It never gets loud. So I love going into a crummy...
- Frank Keating in New York Times
As we say in the monastic life, it's the magnum silencium - the great silence,said Frank Keating, president of the American Council of Life Insurers, which lobbied last fall to make sure its members would have access to the TARP if they...
- Neal Stephenson in Houston Chronicle
I bet there are wealthy, busy people who would pay money to live in a monastic setting,Stephenson said, suggesting that the process of writing - and reading - his extravagant books is a bit like donning habits inside high walls.