- a marked by simplicity; having a humble opinion of yourself
a modest apartment
too modest to wear his medals
- s not large but sufficient in size or amount
a modest salary
- s free from pomp or affectation
comfortable but modest cottages
- a not offensive to sexual mores in conduct or appearance
- s low or inferior in station or quality
a modest man of the people
- s humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness
- s limited in size or scope
a newspaper with a modest circulation
- The little shed behind Joy Whitehouse's modest home is filled with aluminum cans--soda cans, soup cans and vegetable cans--that she collects from neighbors or finds during her .
- Joe RaedleGetty For the most recent period, revenue at the coffee shop company was down a modest 7.
- A world living with the atomic bomb last week heard two notes of modest cheer.
News & Articles
- US wholesale stockpiles advance modest 0.2 percent in April, while sales rise 0.5 percent
US wholesale stockpiles advance modest 0.2 percent in April, while sales rise 0.5 percent.
June 11, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Bank Of France Sees Modest Growth In Q2
The French economy is set to witness modest growth in the second quarter, after entering recession in the first three months of the year, the Bank of France said on Monday.
June 10, 2013 - RTT News
- Texas Petro Index shows stability, modest growth
Stable crude oil prices, modest gains in drilling rig counts and a growing number of drilling permits added up to modest growth in Texas oil and gas activity as measured by the Texas Petro Index for the first four months of the year. The index, a measure of upstream economic indicators prepared for the Texas Alliance of Energy Producers by economist Karr Ingham, shows oil and gas exploration and ...
June 9, 2013 - San Antonio Express-News
- Elena Kagan in The Associated Press
The Supreme Court is a wondrous institution. But the time I spent in the other branches of government remind me that it must also be a modest one,Kagan is set to say, according to an advance text released by the White House.
- John McCain in USA Today
Under Senator Obama's tax plan, Americans of every background would see their taxes rise : seniors, parents, small business owners, and just about everyone who has even a modest investment in the market,said McCain, the presumptive GOP...
- Helen Clark in guardian.co.uk
Helen Clark, the New Zealand prime minister, said: "Sir Ed described himself as an average New Zealander with modest abilities. In reality, he was a colossus. He was a heroic figure who not only 'knocked off' Everest but lived a life of...