maternal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a characteristic of a mother
warm maternal affection for her guest"- Dorothy Sayers
- a relating to or derived from one's mother
- a relating to or characteristic of or befitting a parent
- s related on the mother's side
my maternal grandmother
- For here is the truly ghastly reality of maternal mortality: in 20 years--two decades that have seen spectacular medical breakthroughs--the ratio of maternal deaths to babies born .
- Zefa Corbis Led by Katherine Stothard at Newcastle University in Great Britain, the researchers reviewed 18 earlier studies of maternal weight and congenital abnormalities .
- The link between maternal stress and fetal development is not new: A study in the Lancet in 2000 suggested, for example, that a mother's stress during pregnancy may increase the .
News & Articles
- Minding Our Elders: Learning more about Dad
Dear Readers: This year, thinking about Father's Day reminded me of a short trip I took with a friend last summer. Two places we visited were my parents' childhood homes. I have many happy memories of my maternal grandparents' home because my family visited often when I was young and we spent most holidays there. However, my dad's childhood home was different, since by the time I was born the ...
June 16, 2013 - The Fargo Forum
- Baby Gorilla Yawns After Charming Caretakers At Columbus Zoo (PHOTOS)
The little guy, who's technically a Western Lowland Gorilla, was born to first-time parents Kambera and Oliver on May 23. He's since been raised by animal care experts at the zoo after his mother didn't show maternal instinct, Zooborns reports, but caretakers have let the pair spend a lot of time together and plan to try and reunite them soon.
June 15, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Maternal overweight and obesity during pregnancy associated with increased risk of preterm delivery
In a study that included more than 1.5 million deliveries in Sweden, maternal overweight and obesity during pregnancy were associated with increased risk for preterm delivery, with the highest risks observed for extremely preterm deliveries, according to a study in the June 12 issue of JAMA.
June 11, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Hot Air (blog)
Hillary Clinton, when asked about Canada's G8 plan to address infant and maternal health in the developing world, said the following: "You cannot have maternal health without reproductive health. And reproductive health includes contraception and...
- Barack Obama in CNN
In his statement, however, Obama said he had directed his staff "to reach out to those on all sides of this issue to achieve the goal of reducing unintended pregnancies." "They will also work to promote safe motherhood, reduce maternal and...
- Julian Glover in Garstang Today
The star, 74, who married her first husband, actor Julian Glover, at the age of 22, said: "I don't like families. Thank God Bill (Shepherd, her second husband) hasn't got one, either. I'm just not up for it and was never maternal...... Some friends...