- n low level country
- a of relatively low or level country
- Conservationists find 125,000 undiscovered western lowland gorillas in Africa, suggesting the species is safe.
- On lowland farms and in valleys the grain stood rotting under the stagnant waste of water left by spring floods.
- The lowland Kurds of Armavir mostly migrated to this region during World War II and live as a tiny minority among the Armenians, with whom relations are often strained.
News & Articles
- Baby Gorilla Yawns After Charming Caretakers At Columbus Zoo (PHOTOS)
The little guy, who's technically a Western Lowland Gorilla, was born to first-time parents Kambera and Oliver on May 23. He's since been raised by animal care experts at the zoo after his mother didn't show maternal instinct, Zooborns reports, but caretakers have let the pair spend a lot of time together and plan to try and reunite them soon.
June 15, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Snowflake the albino gorilla was inbred, study finds
A famous albino gorilla that lived for 40 years at the Barcelona Zoo got its white coloring by way of inbreeding, new research shows. Snowflake was a male Western lowland gorilla. He was born in the wild and captured in 1966 by villagers in Equatorial Guinea. As the only known white gorilla in the world, Snowflake was a zoo celebrity until his death of skin cancer in 2003. A few studies had ...
June 15, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Arthur Shapiro in Science Daily (press release)
Butterflies are not only charismatic to the public, but also widely used as indicators of the health of the environment worldwide,said Shapiro, a professor of evolution and ecology. "We found many lowland species are being hit hard by the...
- Stephen P. Hubbell in Louisville Courier-Journal
One of the great mysteries of lowland tropical rainforests is their extraordinary richness in tree species,said Stephen Hubbell, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at UCLA who was not involved in the research. "This is a...
- Bonilla in EurekAlert (press release)
The staggering and almost immediate disappearance of the eastern lowland gorilla underscores the alarming decline of an entire ecosystem,said Juan Carlos Bonilla, senior director for Central Africa at Conservation International. "But this...