lowbrow : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who is uninterested in intellectual pursuits
- s characteristic of a person who is not cultivated or does not have intellectual tastes
- The highbrow and the lowbrow, once kept chastely separate, are now hooking up, which is why we have great, funky, unclassifiable writers like Margaret Atwood, Neal Stephenson .
- Others are lowbrow, like ABC's The Will (relatives battle for an inheritance), FOX's Married by America (viewers vote to help pair up a bride and groom) and NBC's Around the .
- His brand of lowbrow comedieswhich mix dizzying verbal wordplay, banana-peel pratfalls and kung fu (think the Marx Brothers with jump kicks)are wildly popular with Asian .
News & Articles
- ‘Urban Decay’ takes over Lorton’s Workhouse
Street-smart graffiti, wildly imaginative vinyl toys, comic book-, tattoo-, sci fi-, punk- and hip hop-inspired paintings and sculptures — lowbrow art is getting highbrow treatment at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton. And it isn’t the first time.
June 18, 2013 - The Fairfax County Times
- Much Ado About Nothing Doesn't Dazzle
While it's doubtful Much Ado will be the standout production of the ISF season, it is a good primer for the next time you decide to have a verbal battle of the wits. by Deanna Darr Much Ado About Nothing is one of Shakespeare's most beloved comedies, combining accessible language, romantic entanglements, high- and lowbrow humor and a little drama into a sweet Shakespearean confection. And while ...
June 12, 2013 - Boise Weekly
- Alvin Toffler in FOXNews
He is both cerebral and straight-ahead lowbrow in the same sense, and he's really got a great take on American culture,Toffler said. "For us it's similar to the first year we had Chris Rock and Arsenio Hall. They were kind of about to bust...
- Michael Wright in Los Angeles Times
That Middle American sensibility is less a geographical description than a point of view,Wright said. "It's an audience that rejects elitism. They like programming that's accessible but not lowbrow. They know how to buy a ticket to New...