- s at risk of or subject to experiencing something usually unpleasant
she is liable to forget
- s subject to legal action
liable to criminal charges
- s (often followed by `to') likely to be affected with
liable to diabetes
- s held legally responsible
men between the ages of 18 and 35 were liable for military service
- Mario Tama Getty But while the report hammers the SEC for repeated instances of incompetence, it stops well short of declaring the SEC liable.
- The SEC's internal investigation of its failure to catch Bernard Madoff finds incompetence and human frailty, but is that enough to make the SEC liable?.
- The FTC means to hold endorsers liable for false pitches If advertising had existed two millenniums ago, Caesar would surely have endorsed chariots, Cleopatra barges and.