leukocyte : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n blood cells that engulf and digest bacteria and fungi; an important part of the body's defense system
- GenePartner is testing only one group of genes: human leukocyte antigens (HLAs), which play an essential role in immune function.
- Illustration depicting the metamorphosis of a normal human leukocyte, in this case a "B" cell, into a malignant tumor cell.
- A new disease had been discovered: leukocyte-adhesion deficiency.
News & Articles
- Certain inflammatory biomarkers associated with increased risk of COPD exacerbations
Simultaneously elevated levels of the biomarkers C-reactive protein, fibrinogen and leukocyte count in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) were associated with increased risk of having exacerbations, even in those with milder COPD and in those without previous exacerbations, according to a study in the June 12 issue of JAMA.
June 11, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Carolyn Bertozzi in All American Patriots (press release)
Glycans mediate a variety of cell surface recognition events such as bacterial and viral binding to host cells and leukocyte adhesion during an inflammatory response,said Bertozzi. "In addition to their cell surface roles, glycans can...