layup : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a basketball shot made with one hand from a position under or beside the basket (and usually banked off the backboard)
- The gold is no layup, but would get the team into the 2008 Olympics.
- This is a man who, with the cameras rolling in Afghanistan, elected to fire a basketball from 3-point range rather than move in for a layup.
- Despite India's stunning market potential, Stern knows that it is no layup and, as a sports market, may be among the least global.
News & Articles
- Summer Basketball: Jake Nicastro delivers for McCormick Deli
Jake Nicastro hit the go-ahead layup in the final minute of regulation and McCormick Deli was able to hold on for a 28-22 victory over Delco Basketball Academy in Tuesday night’s West Laurel Hill/Springfield League Senior Division contest.
June 12, 2013 - Delaware County Daily Times
- Basketball: Dorsey's new gym opens
A $10 million new gym at Los Angeles Dorsey has opened. It replaces a gym where players were hitting a wall soon after making a layup. -- Eric Sondheimer Photo: A look at Dorsey's new gym. Credit: Dorsey High.
June 11, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Pac-12, Mountain West ref alliance could have multiplier effect for region
After Arizona State’s buzzer-beating overtime win at Colorado last February, the national buzz was principally about Evan Gordon’s game-winning layup that rattled around the rim and dropped at the horn.
June 10, 2013 - Sports Illustrated
- Doc Rivers in Los Angeles Times
They bumped us off spots and were more physical and aggressive all night,Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "Usually the winner is the team that was more aggressive. They had a no-layup rule and that's why we made it to the line so much."
- Kobe Bryant in ESPN
We didn't get any stops,Bryant said. "They got layup after layup, and you can't survive a team that shoots 56 percent."
- Alvin Gentry in USA Today
Rather than "a thunderous dunk," Gentry said, "it may have to be a layup. But we can still do some of the things that we did, a lot of things that we did."