larger-than-life : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale)
- It is fashionable at this fin de sicle to use the man to tear down the hero, to expose human pathologies at the expense of larger-than-life achievements.
- Her elaborate, larger-than-life paste-ups have earned New York artist Swoon a loyal following among street art aficionadosand major cultural institutions.
- Warhol, of course, is strictly pop, having turned out larger-than-life paintings of Campbell soup cans, realer-than-real sculptures of Brillo packages, and longer-than-interminable .
News & Articles
- Zdeno Chara puts up minutes, performance for Bruins
CHICAGO — Near the podiums on NHL media day Tuesday hung a picture, a larger-than-life Zdeno Chara, his mouth open in a scream of ecstasy, the Stanley Cup held over his head. A few yards away was the real Chara, serious, businesslike, as he answered questions from a horde of reporters that wanted to know how he has remained so good after playing so many minutes game after game after game.
June 12, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Northern California Veterans Museum fair booth extols price of freedom
Rescued from the trash heap, three larger-than-life statues of poncho-clad American G.I.s trudging over a hill during the Korean War promote the Northern California Veterans Museum and Heritage Center while extolling the price our veterans paid in preserving freedom for a land and people they did not know.
June 12, 2013 - Anderson Valley Post
- Mormon History Association speaker: Brigham Young enigmatic, larger than life
Brigham Young was an enigmatic, larger-than-life figure for many people, both in the past and present, a fact reflected in...
June 9, 2013 - Deseret News
- Orrin Hatch in Winnipeg Sun
Sen. Orrin Hatch, a conservative Republican who formed a political alliance with Kennedy on some health-related issues, called Kennedy "an iconic, larger-than-life" senator with outsize influence.
- Roger Goodell in USA Today
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement that Olsen "was a larger-than-life person, literally and figuratively, and leaves an enormously positive legacy."
- Stuart Clark in Indiatimes
It's a tough one because Symonds is such a larger-than-life character. I wouldn't have thought so,Clark said. "As much as what happened, people still love to see him playing cricket and people love playing against him and competing against...