- n a verse form suited to the treatment of heroic or elevated themes; dactylic hexameter or iambic pentameter
- s very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale)
of heroic proportions
- a relating to or characteristic of heroes of antiquity
the heroic age
- s having or displaying qualities appropriate for heroes
the heroic attack on the beaches of Normandy
- s of behavior that is impressive and ambitious in scale or scope
- s showing extreme courage; especially of actions courageously undertaken in desperation as a last resort
they took heroic measures to save his life
- Many an American has died in heroic circumstances, but until lately it has not appeared that any North American has performed saintworthy miracles.
- So I've always played heroic people as slightly flawed, slightly haunted by something else.
- As youngsters during World War II, we collected paper, stomped on tin cans and weeded victory gardens to help the heroic Russians and defeat the hated Nazis and Japs.
News & Articles
- UH trainer to be honored for saving life of Elkins grad
For his heroic efforts in saving the life of one of his student-athletes last November, University of Houston Head Athletics Trainer Mike O’Shea will receive the Excellence in Athletic Training Award
June 18, 2013 - Sugar Land Sun
- EMT dispatcher helps find stroke victim during 8-hour call
Talk about above and beyond the call of duty. A heroic New York City dispatcher spent a marathon eight hours on the phone with a stroke victim as rescuers attempted to locate her. A story in the New York Post reports that EMT dispatcher Joann Hilman-Payne got a call from an ill Mary Thomas, and [...]
June 17, 2013 - The Upbeat via Yahoo! News
- Stepdad hopeful son will walk again after heroic act
Ricky Robinson wants one thing for Father’s Day. He wants to see his heroic, selfless son walk again.
June 16, 2013 - Fox News
- Barack Obama in Focus News
We will never forget those who died. We will always remember the heroic efforts of our firefighters, police and emergency responders, and those who sacrificed their own lives on Flight 93 to protect their fellow Americans,Obama said in a...
- Gordon Brown in Telegraph.co.uk
The efforts of our troops in Helmand have been nothing short of heroic,Mr Brown told the Evening Standard. "There has been a tragic human cost. But this has not been in vain."
- Vicente del Bosque in The News International
We tried in an orthodox way and in an heroic way but we were not able to score. Today wasn't our day,Spain coach Vicente del Bosque said. "We have two games ahead of us. We have to find a way to win them."