kingmaker : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n English statesman; during the War of the Roses he fought first for the house of York and secured the throne for Edward IV and then changed sides to fight for the house of Lancaster and secured the throne for Henry VI (1428-1471)
- n an important person who can bring leaders to power through the exercise of political influence
the Earl of Warwick was the first kingmaker
- How a part-time blogger became a kingmaker in the new tech world.
- The Italian who became India's kingmaker .
- And for small-time studios, the company is a kingmaker, able to propel films via Internet word of mouth.
News & Articles
- What Bill O'Reilly Got Out of the Immigration Deal
By holding out his explicit endorsement of the Senate's immigration bill until Thursday night, Fox News' Bill O'Reilly figured out how he could play kingmaker on a major national issue. "It is time for the USA to pass immigration reform," O'Reilly said. He pointed to the latest agreement in the immigration negotiations, which calls for spending $30 billion to send 20,000 more agents to secure ...
June 21, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Ben Cardin in New York Times
As Senator Benjamin L. Cardin, Democrat of Maryland, said, "When you are seeking 60 votes, every person is a kingmaker."
- Rod Blagojevich in Chicago Sun-Times
Hence, he is secretly peddling himself as an election manipulator and kingmaker. His pitch is that he will enter into a secret, but strong political alliance, using as his power base the full force and awesome resources of the DILG and the... Miriam Defensor-Santiago http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Defensor_Santiago&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFWVDfyOooj_kT3lpvONSc9RkcXuQ Philippine Star http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx%3FarticleId%3D542024%26publicationSubCategoryId%3D63&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGwTh9QK4xvT01XkLG2-GvZi2XTkw Jan 18, 2010
55886 73996 kingmaker That's where you're wrong," the then-governor says. "She's the kingmaker. She made Obama. We know she's a Democrat. We know she's for Obama. ...... This one, she's so up there, so high, that nobody can assail this pick. This would be huge."