khat : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the leaves of the shrub Catha edulis which are chewed like tobacco or used to make tea; has the effect of a euphoric stimulant
- Never mind the social effects of an entire nation addled by the narcotic leaf khat, growing the plant could leave the country short of drinking water.
- Once largely a social pastime, the ancient practice of chewing khat is taking on troubling dimensions.
- We see wily corsairs in ragged clothing swarming out of their elusive mother ships, chewing narcotic khat while thumbing GPS phones and grappling hooks.
News & Articles
- Kansas City Man Indicted for Distributing Khat
A Kansas City, MO man has been indicted by a federal grand jury for distributing cathinone, a controlled substance found in graba, a dried form of khat.
June 21, 2013 - Kansas City InfoZine
- Ali Mohammed in Reuters South Africa
We don't want the khat to be stopped, we don't want an al Shabaab administration,demonstrator Ali Mohamed told Reuters.
- Sharif Sheik Ahmed in BBC News
From today onwards we have banned khat in the areas we control,Mr Ahmed said. "Dealers found in possession of khat will pay 7 million Somali shillings ($5,000) and the khat will be burned. This substance is badly influencing our people."
- Ali Abdullah Saleh in Bloomberg
Khat is the whiskey of Yemen,said Saleh Amid Qalan, a 32-year-old government employee, standing in a passage next to the seventh century Great Mosque, the country's oldest.