kapok : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a plant fiber from the kapok tree; used for stuffing and insulation
- n massive tropical tree with deep ridges on its massive trunk and bearing large pods of seeds covered with silky floss; source of the silky kapok fiber
- The pesky milkweed, cursed by farmers, has found a use-as a substitute for kapok.
- The floss will replace kapok, formerly imported from Java, in l) life jackets where, like kapok, it is six times as buoyant as cork; 2) linings of flying suits, where it is as .
- Rosita points out a tall tree with a spiny trunk: "When the kapok trees' red flower comes out" just before the wet season "we know the freshwater crocodiles are laying eggs .