- n a long tunic worn by many people from the Indian subcontinent (usually with a salwar or churidars)
- Tall and lean, he was dressed in a traditional shalwar kameez--baggy trousers and long shirt--under a military fatigue jacket, with a scarf to fight the desert cold.
- I put on a salwar kameez and an Afghan-style turban.
- On the subcontinent splendid native dress-the sari, the salwar-kameez, the ghaghra-is still important, in part because of strong .
News & Articles
- India, over fire: Anitha Pagidi of south Reno shares grilling traditions from her native land
One recent evening, you would have been hard pressed in Northern Nevada to find a more glamorous griller than Anitha Pagidi, who hails from Chennai in southern India. She wore a hand-embroidered salwar kameez — a long tunic over loose trousers, both rendered in floaty celadon silk — as she tonged marinated chicken onto the grill: breast, wings, thighs, drumsticks.
July 1, 2013 - Reno Gazette-Journal
- Two Teenage Pakistani Sisters Killed for Dancing in the Rain
Two teenage Pakistani sisters were killed after recording themselves dancing in the rain, an act their stepbrother defended as an “honor killing.” In the video, 15-year-old Noor Basra and 16-year-old Noor Sheza wore traditional shalwar kameez trouser suits and headscarves, breaking sometimes in their dance to flash a smile at the camera. They were seen just outside their house in Chilas with two ...
July 1, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Jiah Khan in Hindustan Times
I've grown up watching masala films. I fell in love with Varma's 'Rangeela' at the age of 13. Though I lived in London, I only wore salwar-kameez. And I'd speak only in Hindi in school, never in English,said Jiah, who was born in New York and...
- Bipasha Basu in nowRunning.com
I wouldn't really know,said Bipasha. "But once I got into a simple salwar-kameez for Prakash Jha's 'Apaharan', I felt I had transformed into a simple working-class girl."
- Preacher Moss in Toronto Star
A lot of people think Muslim, they're thinking a big beard and a kufi and a long kameez and all of that. But you know, it's a very progressive religion and it's inclusive,said Moss, who's been writing comedy and doing stand-up for 23 years....