jurist : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a legal scholar versed in civil law or the law of nations
- n a public official authorized to decide questions brought before a court of justice
- What those decisions offer is a portrait of a moderately liberal jurist, one who may disappoint activists on the left who were hoping that Obama would choose a two-fisted .
- Reagan had put forward the nation's leading conservative jurist in the hope of tilting a closely divided court sharply rightward for the next generation.
- Why would a respected jurist like Gabel, 76, jeopardize her 16 years on the bench for a job for her daughter? Why would Myerson -- a successful and well-to-do former Miss America .
News & Articles
- Local jurist elected president of California Judges Association
OROVILLE — A local jurist has been elected president of the California Judges Association. In Sacramento, the association's executive board voted Butte County Superior Court Judge Robert Glusman as its new president Tuesday.
June 13, 2013 - Chico Enterprise-Record
- Mitch McConnell in Christian Science Monitor
We will thoroughly examine her record to ensure she understands that the role of a jurist in our democracy is to apply the law evenhandedly, despite their own feelings or personal or political preferences,said Republican Senate leader Mitch...
- Jeff Sessions in Click e-News (blog)
He also said the issue raised "questions of whether Dean Kagan would be able to serve all Americans as a responsible, impartial jurist, or whether she would bring her ideological agenda to the bench and attempt to get around the Constitution and the...
- John Paul Stevens in Washington Post
I have known Justice Santosh Hegde for a long time. He is an eminent jurist for whom all of us have great respect. As Lokayukta of Karnataka, if he has certain concerns, I am sure the state government will address them earnestly. I appeal to him to... LK Advani http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lal_Krishna_Advani&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHjrGuscylMGBZnAHhoRj05FbmgXQ IBNLive.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://ibnlive.in.com/news/advani-urges-hegde-to-withdraw-resgination/125900-37-64.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE2tfp1-PZtvjNvs8eVomPTuKqE8Q Jul 3, 2010
55169 72984 juror Stevens noted that in this case, the juror struck for cause was not even an opponent of the death penalty."