- n United States singer who died of a drug overdose at the height of her popularity (1943-1970)
- n United States composer who was the first creator of ragtime to write down his compositions (1868-1917)
News & Articles
- Joplin Miners win first two games in tournament
The Joplin Miners American Legion baseball team improved to 2-0 in Pool B of the Pryor Tournament by beating Tahlequah 6-2 on Friday.
June 15, 2013 - The Joplin Globe
- Joplin Regional Airport manager says FAA budget cuts ‘scary’
Joplin’s airport manager says that failure of the federal government to stop sequestration cuts of air traffic controllers effective Sept. 30 puts airports and travelers on the verge of something “very scary.” Steve Stockam this week attended a policy committee meeting of the U.S. Contract Tower Association in Washington, D.C.
June 14, 2013 - The Joplin Globe
- Joplin residents receive national recognition
Four Joplin residents receive national recognition for their efforts following the May 22, 2011 tornado.
June 13, 2013 - KOAM-TV Pittsburg
- Bonnie Raitt in Reuters Canada
Singer Bonnie Raitt said, "Ruth was one of the most important and beloved figures in modern music. You can hear her influence in everyone from Little Richard to Etta (James), Aretha (Franklin), Janis (Joplin) and divas like Christina Aguilera today....
- Robin Carnahan in Joplin Globe
Strong local libraries provide citizens with access to vast new resources and information right in their own communities,Carnahan said in a prepared statement. "I'm pleased that this federal grant funding will help support the Joplin...
- Sam Andrew in Kansas City Star
He was the big brother in Big Brother and the Holding Company,Andrew said. "He brought us our lead guitar player. He brought us Janis Joplin, 'cause he had gone to school with her at the University of Texas. He was just a visionary."