infect : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v communicate a disease to
Your children have infected you with this head cold
- v contaminate with a disease or microorganism
- v corrupt with ideas or an ideology
society was infected by racism
- v affect in a contagious way
His laughter infects everyone who is in the same room
- A new headline-grabbing report from the White House claims that swine flu could plausibly infect up to 50% of Americans, causing flu symptoms among some 60 to 120 million of them .
- Much to their surprise, they found that it took less of the viral solution to infect a monkey orally than rectally--6,000 times less.
- Kids in classrooms are major spreaders of infectious disease; they get sick, infect one another, then bring the disease back home.
News & Articles
- From hot springs to HIV, same protein complexes are hijacked to promote viruses
Biologists have discovered a striking connection between viruses such as HIV and Ebola and viruses that infect organisms called archaea that grow in volcanic hot springs. Despite the huge difference in environments and a 2 billion year evolutionary time span between archaea and humans, the viruses hijack the same set of proteins to break out of infected cells.
June 11, 2013 - Science Daily
- Government Bonds Around The World Are Getting Destroyed Today
The sell-off in government bonds has gone completely global as concerns over Federal Reserve tapering of monetary stimulus infect the market. Everywhere this morning, bond yields are up huge as investors dump sovereign debt.
June 11, 2013 - Business Insider
- How to Defuse an Ethical Time-Bomb in Your Company
Maybe you think that problems can't infect your company because you've got clearly stated rules against them. Boy, are you in for a surprise. Nothing keeps a business owner up at night like the nagging feeling that ethical time bombs are ticking somewhere in his or her company. Human nature being what it is, no company is immune from problems--from the deliberate frauds and rogue actions of ...
June 10, 2013 - Inc Magazine
- George Poinar in Washington Post
A lot of people have started to understand over the past week that the cold on Wall Street could infect Main Street as well, and they are concerned about their homes, their education funds, their retirement accounts, their savings, and the overall... Dana Perino http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Perino&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGDDj2yzEPA77FNshJ6h82DfxazFg The Age http://www.google.com/url?q=http://news.theage.com.au/world/bush-calls-on-mccain-obama-leaders-20080925-4njh.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEcq5lhuebOD_qW0uO7A-FNQTt-PQ Sep 24, 2008
51504 69001 infect This shows how far back mushrooms _ and the parasites that infect them _ go," Poinar said.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in FOXNews
Ideology and partisanship have overtaken the voting rights section and been allowed to infect every facet of the office, from its hiring practices to its decisions about which cases to prosecute,Clinton said in a statement.