immune : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who is immune to a particular infection
- a relating to the condition of immunity
the immune system
- s secure against
immune from taxation as long as he resided in Bermuda
immune from criminal prosecution
- s relating to or conferring immunity (to disease or infection)
- s (usually followed by `to') not affected by a given influence
immune to persuasion
- The immune system produces antibodies that destroy these harmful substances.
- The hygiene hypothesis suggests that organisms that enter the body along with dirt spur the development of a healthy immune system.
- Immune system disorders occur when the immune system does not fight tumors or harmful substances as it should.
News & Articles
- Modified immune cells seek and destroy melanoma
( Journal of Clinical Investigation ) In this issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, researchers led by Scott Pruitt at Duke University and Merck Research Laboratories report on a human clinical trial in which modified dendritic cells, a component of the immune system, were tested in patients with melanoma.
June 24, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Why soccer-loving Brazilians are souring on their national pastime
World Cup stadium construction and renovations have cost three times as much as originally projectedIn soccer-loving Brazil, even the national pastime hasn't been immune to the enormous protests unfolding around the country.Brazil will host the 2014 World Cup, and began work several years ago to renovate seven stadiums and build five more to accommodate the tournament. ...
June 24, 2013 - The Week via Yahoo! News
- Starstruck closing after 21 years
Starstruck Video and Wunderland Flea Market on Markham Street in Conway is not immune to the changes in the video rental industry, and the business will close June 30 after 21 years.
June 24, 2013 - The Log Cabin Democrat
- Steve Ballmer in USA Today
We certainly are in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime set of economic conditions,Ballmer said. "Neither the consumer nor the business side of the technology industry is immune to these economic conditions."
- Roger Goodell in ABC News
These are difficult and painful steps,Goodell wrote in the memo. "But they are necessary in the current economic environment. I would like to be able to report that we are not immune to the troubles around us, but we are not. Properly...
- Ehud Olmert in ABC News
There will be no limit in acting against the terror groups and against those who are responsible for the terror. No one is immune,Olmert said.