immigrant : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there
- The House leadership is in a tight spot they need to show some progress on the issue to placate angry anti-immigrant forces in the country.
- That complaint has long been shared by the anti-immigrant far right in France, whose leader Le Pen complained that France "cannot recognize itself in the national side.
- Many immigrant families, especially the Indochinese refugees who arrived in the years following the fall of Saigon in 1975, remain mired in poverty.
News & Articles
- Irish immigrant killed in reckless hit-and-run in the Bronx
A young Irish immigrant was killed by a hit-and-run driver on a treacherous stretch of highway -- near the Tombstone Saloon and Woodlawn Cemetery -- in The Bronx this morning, police and witnesses said. Victim Kevin Bell, 26, was mowed down around 3:30 a.m. a few blocks from...
June 16, 2013 - New York Post
- Danbury Police Officer Fired Over Treatment of Immigrant in Traffic Stop
DANBURY, Conn. (AP) — Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton (BOW'-tuhn) has fired a police officer over his treatment of an immigrant during a traffic stop. Boughton fired officer Chris Belair after reviewing an audio tape, video and other materials related to the stop in March.
June 16, 2013 - Litchfield County Times
- Immigrant Learning Center hosts celebration of culture
The challenges of being an immigrant can be daunting, but for some those hardships become inspiration.
June 15, 2013 - Malden Observer
- Barack Obama in Before It's News
In the United States of America, no law-abiding person, be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant or a visitor or tourist from Mexico, should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like,Obama said when Mexican...
- Cardinal Roger Mahony in Catholic Culture
The Arizona legislature just passed the country's most retrogressive, mean-spirited, and useless anti-immigrant law [SB 1070, awaiting the expected signature of Gov. Jan Brewer],Cardinal Mahony wrote on April 18. "The tragedy of the law is...
- Ed Reyes in AZ Central.com (blog)
An immigrant city, an international city, needs to have its voice heard,Reyes said at the time. "It is crucial this great city take a stand."