- n an episode of such pastoral or romantic charm as to qualify as the subject of a poetic idyll
- n a musical composition that evokes rural life
- n a short poem descriptive of rural or pastoral life
- In short, there was nothing to suggest the violence that ended the suburban idyll.
- To portray Sark as a rural idyll untouched by modernity would be inaccurate, however.
- Murnau, one of the greatest silent-film directors, went to Tahiti (with documentary pioneer Robert Flaherty) to make this ethnographic idyll spiked with Hollywood-style melodrama.
News & Articles
- Man Who Shot At Rowdy Teens Simply "Did What Police Wouldn't Do"
One July night in 2011 Thomas Dunikowski was enjoying dinner on his neighbor's front porch in the Marine Park section of Brooklyn when their lazy summer idyll was shattered by (what else?) teenagers. According to Dunikowski and his neighbor, a pack of rowdy youths started ripping open garbage bags and throwing beer cans into the yard. An altercation between Men and Teens ensued, at which point ...
June 18, 2013 - Gothamist
- Jock Stirrup in AFP
Most of those troops are based around Basra, where Stirrup said he didn't "for a moment pretend that there will be a smooth, uninterrupted progress towards some sort of urban idyll." "I think some people expected that, with the British...
- Brooks Atkinson in Village Times Herald
Atkinson wrote, in 1949, "a tenderly beautiful idyll of genuine people inexplicably tossed together in a strange corner of the world."
- Grayson Perry in Times Online
Perry, who grew up in rural Essex, said: "The biscuit tin idyll of cosy village Britain is luckily in the past, for it was a candlelit back-breaking, sexist, tubercular child-death hell."