hype : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n blatant or sensational promotion
- v publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner
- Over the past 100 years, in the midst of all the wonders of progress, there grew a thing called hype.
- He invented the overpublicized, under- performing superscooter known as the Segwayand was responsible for some of that hype.
- It was the first victim of Madison Avenue hyper-hype.
News & Articles
- Hope Or Hype: Are Recent Market Rallies For Real?
First the stock market soared to new all-time highs. Then came the word that home prices had just posted their first double-digit annual gain since 2006. Are the boom times back for stocks and real estate? Certainly, recent gains are a sign of hope, but with every bull market comes a fair amount of hype as well. Before you plunge head-first into volatile markets, consider the following reasons ...
June 12, 2013 - Forbes
- Amid hype, Cole's sparkling debut gives Bucs hope
In a place like Pittsburgh -- a place that can be a great baseball town, on the condition that it gets great baseball -- the hype and the hope are particularly palpable. But the Pirates' top prospect, righty Gerrit Cole, to put it plainly, did not disappoint en route to winning his Major League debut Tuesday night at PNC Park.
June 12, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Closing Time: Tyler Colvin says hello; Gerrit Cole wins his debut; the unstoppable Bartolo Colon
Everyone loves a good post-hype story, especially when it comes from Coors Field. Tyler Colvin, come on down. Colvin doesn't turn 28 until September, but he's already had numerous sweeping turns to his career. The first-round pick made good with the Cubs in 2010 (20 homers in 395 at-bats) but a fluke neck injury wiped [...]
June 12, 2013 - Roto Arcade via Yahoo! Sports
- David Cameron in Daily Star - Lebanon
Too often, these international meetings fail to live up to the hype and the promises made,Cameron wrote. "A lot of money is spent laying them on. Host cities disrupted for days, even weeks. The cavalcades roll into town."
- Tim Howard in New York Post
I'm glad it's over, there was a lot of hype and pressure,Howard said.
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Running for the presidency is a profound decision, a decision no one should make on the basis of media hype or personal ambition alone,Mr. Obama said in his video address, adding: "I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position...