hydrophobia : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a symptom of rabies in humans consisting of an aversion to swallowing liquids
- n a morbid fear of water
- n an acute viral disease of the nervous system of warm-blooded animals (usually transmitted by the bite of a rabid animal); rabies is fatal if the virus reaches the brain
- With hydrophobia, this mean giving doses of serum as soon as possible after the bite.
- Once hydrophobia definitely develops, it is impossible to cure it, whether in dog, rabbit, cow or man.
- But only 50 to 100 people die of hydrophobia, because nearly all those infected get the Pasteur injections in time.
- Thabo Mbeki in Ynetnews
Hecht quoted Winston Churchill, saying: "Mohammedanism, besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy."
- Pranab Mukherjee in NDTV.com
They have Americaphobia, just like some people have hydrophobia. They may have it but they must understand that the US is technologically advanced and we need that advanced technology,Mukherjee told a seminar in Kolkata on the N-deal.