- s relating to the peripheral and unimportant aspects of life
a hole-and-corner life in some obscure community"- H.G.Wells
- s conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods
- I cannot believe that any of these matters has escaped his notice, for it has been no hole-and-corner business .
- You can say or print almost anything so long as you are willing to do it in a hole-and-corner way.
- Said one American: "Has an international document ever been ratified in such a hole-and-corner fashion?" Less than an hour later, Japan's tough-minded Premier Nobusuke Kishi .
- Edward Leigh in guardian.co.uk
Edward Leigh, chairman of the Commons public accounts committee, said: "Taxpayers should be grateful to the anonymous whistleblower who first alerted the NAO to the Department of Health's hole-and-corner deal with Dr Foster." "The department...