- n the edge of a piece of cloth; especially the finished edge that has been doubled under and stitched down
the hem of her dress was stained
let down the hem
he stitched weights into the curtain's hem
it seeped along the hem of his jacket
- n the utterance of a sound similar to clearing the throat; intended to get attention, express hesitancy, fill a pause, hide embarrassment, warn a friend, etc.
- v fold over and sew together to provide with a hem
hem my skirt
- v utter `hem' or `ahem'
- Others are joining virtual sewing circles on the Internet, in which strangers exchange tips on the best hem styles and where to find inexpensive fabric.
- I also loved the way the last three evening dresses fluttered out in an asymmetrical hem--short in front and long and billowing in back.
- I have the New Look; you have let down your hem; she has had that dress since 1934.
News & Articles
- Zoom on Resort: Rochas, Givenchy, and More
Joan Smalls debuted Givenchy resort 2014 at the CFDAs, wearing a long white gown with a sheer panel at the hem. She followed up by modeling most of the collection this week, which began as a series of delicate lace pieces before seguing into the more familiar exuberant blooms first ... More »
June 12, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Where to Buy Demi Lovato's EXACT Military Jacket and Breezy Black Dress
(PacificCoastNews.com) Demi Lovato touched down in New Orleans yesterday, wearing an outfit that was as travel-ready as it was cute. Let's break it down. (PacificCoastNews.com) The pop star paired her breezy, asymmetrical hem Religion dress ($80.61 at ASOS.com ) with a Standard Jean Co. army jacket ($109.95 at GeneralPants.com ). A black Givenchy "Antigona" bag and a gold and diamond Jennifer ...
June 12, 2013 - StyleBistro
- Sofia Coppola's Chic White on White Style
Sofia Coppola (Getty) Sofia Coppola epitomizes elegant minimalism. She never goes for froufrou, girly, or over-the-top styles, instead she likes to keep every red carpet look sophisticated and supremely chic. Case in point: last night's Bling Ring screening in NYC. The director went for a white-on-white look in a sequined sweater dress with airy ruffles at the hem (sounds terrible but somehow ...
June 12, 2013 - StyleBistro
- Milo Ventimiglia in FOXNews
I'm a tough critic,Ventimiglia said. "The first season, I remember the producers would come up to me ...... after we'd all watch an episode, and they'd say, sort of, `What do you think?' And I'd either hem or haw or say it was good or not....
- Ed Harris in Chicago Tribune
It makes you trust yourself. It makes you be much more decisive than I am normally in life, because you can't afford to hem and haw,Harris said. "You've got to make decisions, and also, it's great in terms of your relationships with people...
- Dario Franchitti in RacinToday.com
I think it's up to the series to keep them in position and police hem. If they continue to drive like that, then you're going to have to get them out of the way,Franchitti said. "You know, in situations when I'ma lap down I try and give...