- s tough and callous by virtue of experience
- s used of persons; emotionally hardened
- s (eggs) cooked until the yolk is solid
- The only hard-boiled member of elderly and intellectual Premier Leon Blum's present Cabinet was Minister of Interior Roger Salengro, and paradoxically it was he who last week .
- Jake was horribly wounded in the warin fact, he was effectively geldedso he spends his time in Paris getting drunk in cafes, nursing his ennui, bantering with his hard-boiled .
- Along them wanders Philip Marlowe, a cynical, perfectly hard-boiled private investigator hired by an old millionaire to find the husband of his beautiful, bitchy wildcat daughter.
- Jan Sterling in TheDay
In "Ace in the Hole," perhaps director Billy Wilder's darkest film, the actress Jan Sterling tells Kirk Douglas' Chuck Tatum, an ethically challenged reporter, "I've met a lot of hard-boiled eggs in my time, but you - you're 20 minutes."
- Takeru Kobayashi in al.com
There are things about eating that I will miss,Kobayashi said. "The sandwiches, the hard-boiled eggs, the satisfying feeling you get after replenishing your body's nutrients, and especially the fried dumplings."