- n a rope for raising or lowering a sail or flag
- The halyard of the flagpole atop Richmond's Central National Bank building was hopelessly snarled.
- Democratic National Chairman Paul Butler was flapping distress flags from every halyard.
- The bow man jumps into the forward hatch and hooks in the guy, sheet and halyard to the spinnaker.
- Ben Ainslie in World Match Racing Tour
Ainslie commented on his equipment malfunctions today, "We had a couple of problems with the boat, the jib halyard wasn't holding upwind and then we had an issue with the spinnaker at the bottom mark in the match against Ian which was a bit to do...