groundwork : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained
- n lowest support of a structure
- n preliminary preparation as a basis or foundation
we are prepared today because of groundwork that was done ten years ago
- For Luciana, the groundwork came early in adolescence, when "all legs and big feet, thick at the waist and thick in the nose," she was taken in hand by her half brother, Rodolfo .
- When the Atlanta drama was unfolding, he was on a 10-day journey through Africa, laying the groundwork for a planned Christian-inspired assault on such problems as poverty, disease .
- Hooked up, fired up and liberated by the Internet, China's 'Generation Yellow' is laying the groundwork for change full story 'Is There Anything Wrong with Love?'.
News & Articles
- Analysis: Kevyn Orr laying groundwork for potential Detroit bankruptcy
As Detroit seeks a out-of-court resolution to its financial crisis, emergency manager Kevyn Orr continues to lay the groundwork for a potential Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing.
June 15, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Youth work camp to repair Norristown homes
Norristown officials are laying the groundwork for 429 youth volunteers to repair, paint and refurbish the homes of poor and elderly Norristown residents in late June.
June 15, 2013 - Montgomery Life
- California passes a budget that could be a federal template
Lawmakers approve a $96.3-billion spending plan that places the state at the leading edge of President Obama's healthcare overhaul. It also increases funding for schools and social services. SACRAMENTO — California lawmakers passed a budget Friday that lays the groundwork for the largest expansion of public healthcare in the country, placing the state at the leading edge of President Obama's ...
June 15, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Condoleezza Rice in New York Times
It is our expectation that the Annapolis process has laid groundwork which should make possible the establishment of a Palestinian state when the political circumstances permit,Ms. Rice said.
- Tom LaSorda in International Herald Tribune
We believe that this represents a solid plan to return to profitability and lay the groundwork for a solid future,Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda said at a news conference.
- Barack Obama in The Age
We brought the global economy back from the brink. We laid the groundwork today for long-term prosperity, as well,US President Barack Obama said after the meeting.