- n the soccer or hockey player assigned to protect the goal
- n the defensive position on an ice hockey or soccer or lacrosse team who stands in front of the goal and tries to prevent opposing players from scoring
- No one knows the goalie's risks better than the Philadelphia Flyers' Bernie Parent.
- The Red Wings famed right wing, long a fearsome sight to pro goalies, bore down on the cage and fired low and hard.
- Jakey Forbes, little goalie of the New York Americans, jerked his arms and legs accurately, prostrated himself upon the ice when necessary.
News & Articles
- Sharks goalie Antti Niemi denied Vezina Trophy as league's top goaltender
Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was named the NHL's top goaltender at Chicago's United Center before the start of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup final.
June 16, 2013 - San Jose Mercury News
- Vezina Trophy 2013: Sergei Bobrovsky named NHL's top goalie
Sergei Bobrovsky of the Columbus Blue Jackets has won the 2013 Vezina Trophy as the top goalie in the NHL, beating out reigning Vezina winner Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers and a fellow first-time finalist, Antti Niemi of the San Jose Sharks . Bobrovsky almost single-handedly carried the Blue Jackets into playoff contention, compiling a .932 save percentage and an even more impressive ...
June 16, 2013 - SB Nation
- Sergei Bobrovsky Wins Vezina Trophy, Bruins Goalie Tuukka Rask Finishes Fifth
Sergei Bobrovsky was one of the NHL’s biggest surprises this season, and he added another impressive accomplishment to that season on Saturday night. The Columbus Blue Jackets goalie was named the Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL’s best goaltender. Bobrovsky went 21-11-6 with a 2.00 goals against average and four shutouts this season and almost got […]
June 15, 2013 - New England Sports Network
- Joe Kocur in msnbc.com
My favourite memory of Bob would be sitting down before a game, going over the opposing lineup and picking and choosing who would go first and if the goalie would be safe or not,Kocur said in a statement. "It was great to be able to go out...
- Antero Niittymaki in ESPN
When they announced that they're not going to offer Nabokov a new deal, every goalie in the league knew a spot was open,said Niittymaki, who spent last season with Tampa Bay after starting his NHL career in Philadelphia. "Obviously you're...
- Michel Therrien in Daily Press
He's a good actor,Therrien said. "I know our players are frustrated right now. It's tough to play the game, but Osgood did the same thing against Dallas. Our team never goes to the goalie. We never did it, and we don't target the goalie....