gloom : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a state of partial or total darkness
he struck a match to dispel the gloom
- n a feeling of melancholy apprehension
- n an atmosphere of depression and melancholy
gloom pervaded the office
- Economic indicators presage more gloom, with electricity production for industry falling 4% in October, the first time it has declined in a decade.
- Even in the current economic gloom, bankers have been loath to part with one massive perk of their jobs the lavish bonus.
- In fact, 1876 undercuts Vidal's post-Watergate gloom.
News & Articles
- Amid the gloom, Norris delivers gutsy performance in loss
SEATTLE – The frustration was quite evident late Tuesday night inside the spiraling Astros’ clubhouse after Mariners journeyman Aaron Harang threw a two-hit shutout against them. The defensive performance was disheartening yet again, and the offense was practically non-existent. Amid the gloom of yet another six-game losing streak, however, Astros ace righthander Bud Norris stood apart as a ...
June 12, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- CD Review: Black Sabbath's 'Thirteen' lives up to a legacy of gloom-and-doom
Perhaps we can forgive Ozzy Osbourne for saying, “I told you so.” It’s been 30 years since trailblazing heavy-metal group Black Sabbath recorded its last album of apocalyptic songs, and clearly, things have gotten a lot worse on Planet Earth. The gloom-and-doom sound of O
June 11, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Movie Blog: This Week’s Best Bets
The gloom is over, apparently. Now that the sun has emerged from its bed of clouds, you can actually start enjoying spring-time again. But if you find yourself seeking relief from the sun (or getting drinks at patios or biking around the lakes), here's what's playing -- and totally worth seeing -- at local theaters.
June 10, 2013 - CBS Minnesota
- John Adams in The Newark Advocate
As our brilliant forefather John Adams said, "I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost to maintain this Declaration and support and defend these States. Yet through all the gloom, I can see the rays of ravishing light and...
- Peter Crouch in Belfast Telegraph
We can play a lot better than that,he said. "On this occasion we didn't play great but it's not all doom and gloom, there's one more game to go. Hopefully we can get better. I was watching it the same as you, it was one of those games and...
- Rusty Wallace in USA Today
At the end of last season, it was all doom and gloom,said former Sprint Cup champion Rusty Wallace, now a team owner in the Nationwide Series, fielding full-time rides for son Steve Wallace and Brendan Gaughan.