- n formerly the restricted quarter of many European cities in which Jews were required to live
the Warsaw ghetto
- n any segregated mode of living or working that results from bias or stereotyping
the relative security of the gay ghetto
no escape from the ghetto of the typing pool
- n a poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions
- Here in the ghetto It's a bad situation; Call it what you want to, It's just a concrete reservation.
- Another was the realization that ghetto blacks were the chief victims of ghetto violenceburned-out areas of Detroit and Newark are still in ruins today.
- They penetrated as far as the ghetto's main street.
News & Articles
- Nazi Killer Found After Hiding in Plain Sight
A man suspected of being a Ukrainian Nazi with links to murders during the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and other massacres has been living in Minnesota for over 50 years, according to evidence recently uncovered. Click here for the rest of the article...
June 14, 2013 - The Forward
- Lee Daniels, Julia Stiles Help Honor Ghetto Film School Students and The Criterion Collection at 9th Annual Spring ...
Last night's ninth Annual Spring Benefit for the Ghetto Film School featured plenty of celebrities, a few surprises, and six very happy high school students. Presenters Lee Daniels, Julia Stiles, and sportscaster Gus Johnson were all on hand to honor the six college-bound high school students who earned $2,500 in college scholarships to continue their film education. Held at The Standard Hotel's ...
June 13, 2013 - indieWIRE
- Avram Zeleznikow, Holocaust survivor and mainstay of Australian Jewry
Avram Zeleznikow, a Vilna Ghetto survivor and partisan fighter whose restaurant in Melbourne became a meeting place for the survivor community, has died.
June 13, 2013 - J Weekly
- Iain Duncan Smith in WalesOnline
...the problems of deprivation in Britain's cities, told Fabian Review magazine: "Nobody really thought about what happens if you allow only the most broken families to exist on housing estates. You create a sort of ghetto in which the...
- Marek Edelman in FOXNews
In an interview with The Associated Press, Edelman said the Nazis "wanted to destroy the people, and we fought to protect the people in the ghetto, to extend their life by a day or two or five."
- Rita Marley in Variety
This is about a girl from the ghetto and a boy from the rural areas,Marley said. "It's more than being a superstar -- we have trod the rocky roads. It's more than just a story, it's a reality."