frontispiece : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an ornamental facade
- n front illustration facing the title page of a book
- Last week the new Almanach bore as a frontispiece the round olive face of fat King Fuad I of Egypt.
- A novel that starts with the map of an imaginary tropical island makes a delicious promise of enchantmentas every reader knows who ever pored over the frontispiece chart in .
- Naturalists took one look at the grimacing, bewhiskered frontispiece and decided that the whole book was beneath contempt.
- Simon Jenkins in Telegraph.co.uk
Sir Simon, in an article on the coming anniversary, wrote: "Most of the staff [in my day] thought the frontispiece sexist, bourgeois and not long for this world. It has outlived all our expectations."