folk : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n people in general (often used in the plural)
they're just country folk
folks around here drink moonshine
- n a social division of (usually preliterate) people
- n people descended from a common ancestor
- n the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community
- Like many folk groups, they found their material by scouring old songbooks and listening attentively to obscure albums on the Folkways and Vanguard labels.
- As folk joined the mainstream, the great river of 60s popular music swelled to meet folk and swallow it up.
- FOLK SINGING (See Cover) Anything called a hootenanny ought to be shot on sight, but the whole country is having one.
News & Articles
- On Tap: Folk band makes stop in Pittsburg
PITTSBURG -- The Sacramento River Music Armada Canoe Tour brings hypno-folk pioneers TWIN to Pittsburg for a one-night stop on their musical canoe tour down the Sacramento River.
June 12, 2013 - Oakley News
- Newport Folk Festival brings two-day concert to Santa Monica Pier
The storied Newport Folk Festival, which bills itself as “the original music festival” and has delivered historic moments on the East Coast since 1959, will uproot and head west in the fall for Way Over Yonder, a new festival taking place at the Santa Monica Pier.
June 11, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Seeking Work Of Folk Portrait Painter And Silhouettes By Puffy Sleeve Artist
We are members of the American Folk Art Society and have been researching early American folk portrait painters for quite a number of years. Our ninth published article, “Images of the American People — Small Portraits from 1820-1850” appeared in the January issue of Antiques and Fine Art .
June 11, 2013 - Antiques and the Arts
- Bob Dylan in International Herald Tribune
The first thing that turned me on to folk singing was Odetta,Bob Dylan said, referring to that record, in a 1978 interview with Playboy .
- David Bowie in Billboard
Eventually, there were enough Indians in Edison to change the culture. At which point my towns folk started calling the new Edisonians 'dot heads'. One kid I knew in high school drove down an Indian-dense street yelling for its residents to 'go... Joel Stein http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Stein&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNH6uH5ot4xMOU_6r7ZvRQagUyFfoQ NDTV.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/time-magazine-apologises-to-indian-americans-36108%3Ffrom%3Drightpanel&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNF5Lpg_j57SAtFWNOZrUh5FZoBL6A Jul 7, 2010
38695 49990 folk The request was for me to choose artists and acts that I myself would go out of my way to see," Bowie says on his Web site. "I would really hope that the exposure this festival affords will help these folk get the attention they deserve."