featherbedding : Definition, Usages, News and More
fe dher be ding
- n the practice (usually by a labor union) of requiring an employer to hire more workers than are required
- v treat with excessive indulgence
- v hire more workers than are necessary
- For nearly a decade, the men who run the nation's railroads have been battling doggedly to eliminate the union-imposed "featherbedding" that the railroads claim costs them.
- And in uttering his predictable no, Gilbert demonstrated the fact that no man better represents the issues in the great featherbedding fight.
- Did he approve of featherbedding? He snorted.