- n a mattress stuffed with feathers
- v treat with excessive indulgence
- v hire more workers than are necessary
- To change anything in the Na-a-vy is like punching a featherbed.
- Many "featherbed" crews now draw eight hours pay for runs of less than four hours.
- Though obsolete and wasteful now, featherbed rules are a sacred cow in labor politics.
News & Articles
- Newly opened Old Tyme Shoppe has 'all kinds of stuff'
A fold-up featherbed occupies a prominent place on the floor of Serena McKinney’s Olde Tyme Shoppe in Oakland City, Ind. A wooden captain’s wheel hangs suspended from ceiling wire left over from the old drop ceiling. Scores of other interesting items — antiques, collectibles and crafts — surround the shoppers looking around the day-old curiosity shop.
July 8, 2013 - The Gleaner
- President Bush in OpEdNews
Bush today quoted Thomas Jefferson's admonition to Lafayette that, "We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed."
- Thomas Jefferson in Whitehouse.gov (press release)
In the early years of our republic, Thomas Jefferson said that we cannot expect to move "from despotism to liberty in a featherbed."
- Jane Goodall in guardian.co.uk
Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Goodall said yesterday: "In the course of this vehicle being stolen, its owner has tried to intervene and was struck by it. The vehicle has not stopped after the collision and left Featherbed Lane. Mick Boffey was a...