- n a ruling on a point of Islamic law that is given by a recognized authority
- How much does a fatwa cost? The question should be spiritual, but last week an Indian TV channel aired footage of several Indian Muslim clerics allegedly taking bribes from .
- The fatwa, an audacious claim of authority over Muslims everywhere, was the revolution's ultimate export.
- Ayatollah Khomeini issues a fatwa (religious decree) ordering the death of British author Salman Rushdie, whose book "The Satanic Verses" he calls blasphemous.
News & Articles
- Goldman Sachs loan runs afoul of 'fatwa,' opponent claims
By Tom Hals (Reuters) - To many in the West, a fatwa is often associated with the 1989 religious edict against author Salman Rushdie. But, in what may be a first, a party has cited the term in a U.S. bankruptcy court, citing a "fatwa" as a reason to prevent Goldman Sachs from making a loan to bankrupt Bahrain investment firm Arcapita Bank BSC. Earlier this month, Bankruptcy Court Judge Sean Lane ...
June 21, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Salman Rushdie: 10 quotes on his birthday
British-Indian author Salman Rushdie first gained international attention when his second novel "Midnight's Children" won the Booker Prize in 1981. But it was Rushdie's fourth novel, "The Satanic Verses," published in 1988, that caused his fame to escalate. In 1989 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or death sentence based on Islamic law, against Rushdie, and he was forced into hiding for ...
June 18, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Fadela Amara in International Herald Tribune
Voluble and articulate, she was quick to criticize a judge in Lille who recently annulled a marriage between Muslims because the bride lied about being a virgin; Amara called the ruling "a real fatwa against the emancipation and liberty of women."
- Roland Emmerich in guardian.co.uk
I wanted to do that, I have to admit,Emmerich told scifiwire.com. "But my co-writer Harald [Kloser] said I will not have a fatwa on my head because of a movie. And he was right. We have to all, in the western world, think about this. You...
- Salman Rushdie in The Canadian Press
I think that it (the fatwa) was very important to Christopher in his thinking and in his politics,Rushdie says. "And so he became very exorcised and therefore very available to me during that time. It certainly brought us much closer...